Senior Materials Scientist
Advanced Power Components
Dr. Bang-Hung Tsao has over 20 years of experience in developing materials for high power semiconductors, capacitors and batteries. His experience includes thin film deposition and processing; materials characterization; device to system level design, fabrication, and testing; thermal management of electronic components; and FEA computer modeling and simulation.
Dr. Tsao is responsible for leading the Advanced Power Components Group at the Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright Patterson Air Force Base.
Additionally, Dr. Tsao is the UDRI principle investigator of a research effort to study and develop materials, processes, and techniques for use in the fabrication of high performance power electronic devices and switch modules, found in power management and control components and systems, which will be capable of operating in extreme environments on aircraft and space platforms.
- Ph.D., Materials Engineering, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ
- M.S., Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ
- B.S., Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, National Cheng-Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
- Bang-Hung Tsao, Katie Sondergelt, Jacob Lawson, James Scofield , Levi Elston, “3D Thermal-Fluid and Stress Analysis for Single Chip SiC Power Sub-Modules,” 2009 MRS Spring Meeting, April 13-17, San Francisco, CA.
- Narayanan Venkat, Victor K. McNier, Bang-Hung Tsao, Thuy D. Dang, Jennifer N. DeCerbo, Jeffery T. Stricker, “High Performance Polymer Film Dielectrics for Air Force Wide-Temperature Power Electronics Applications,” CARTS USA 2009, March 30-April 2, 2009, Jacksonville, FL.
- Narayanan Venkat, Thuy D. Dang, Zongwu Bai, Victor K. McNier, , Bang-Hung Tsao, Jennifer N. DeCerbo and Jeffery T. Stricker, “High Temperature Polymer Film Dielectrics for Aerospace Power Conditioning Capacitor Applications,” The 2nd International Symposium on Advanced Materials and Polymers for Aerospace and Defense Applications (SAMPADA-2008), Dec 8-12, 2008, YASHADA MD Center, Pune, India.
- Bang-Hung Tsao, Jacob Lawson, and Jim Scofield, “3D Thermal Stress Models for Single Chip SiC Power Sub-Modules,” 2008 MRS Spring Meeting, March 24-29, San Francisco, CA.
- Bang-Hung Tsao, Jacob Lawson, Jim Scofield, Clinton Laing and Jeffery Brown, “3D Thermal Stress Model for SiC Power Modules,” ICSCRM 2007, October 14-19, 2007, Otsu, Japan.
- Bang-Hung Tsao, Jacob Lawson, Jim Scofield, “Thermal Aging of Ti/AlNi/Au Ohmic Contacts to P-Type SiC,” International Conference and Exhibition on High Temperature Electronics (HiTEC 2006), May 15-18, 2006, Santa Fe, NM, USA.
- Bang-Hung Tsao, Jacob Lawson, Jim Scofield, “Ti/AlNi/W and Ti/Ni2Si/W Ohmic Contacts to P-Type SiC,” Materials Science Forum, Vols. 527-529, pp. 903-906.
- Bang-Hung Tsao, Jacob Lawson, Jim Scofield, “Temperature and Thickness Dependence of Ti/AlNi/W and Ti/Ni2Si/W Ohmic Contacts to P-Type SiC,” 3rd International Energy Conversion Engineering Conference, August 15-18, 2005, San Francisco, CA.